The WMU women’s tennis team lost a hard fought match to the University of Illinois Chicago this Saturday, bringing the team down to a 6-5 overall record.
At No. 1 doubles, Jill Pastunink and Caroline Aleck defeated UIC’s Haley Craig and Mariana Palacios. From building momentum after coming back from losing in the beginning of the match, Pastunink and Aleck won the match 8-5.
According to WMU Athletics, Pastunink went 3-0 in singles play at the Milwaukee Tennis Classic this season. With a 5-3 record, Pastunink tied the team in MAC singles victories for the 2011-12 season. Pastunick is from Zeeland, Mich. and is team captain.
Aleck received the team’s “Unsung Hero” award in 2011-12. This award is given annually to the player whose important contributions to the team are sometimes hidden. She is a business major from Ada, Mich.
Kelsey King, No. 5 singles, won a close third set to Jana Knoppe of UIC 6-4, 3-6, 7-5. She is from Vancouver, B.C. and is a freshman. In the 2012-2013 season she made the finals of the WMU Super Challenge, defeating Notre Dame and Iowa State.
The next WMU women’s tennis team home match is Saturday, March 2 against Purdue.
Here are some pictures from the match:
1. Haley Craig (UIC) defeated Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Maggie Remynse (WMU) def. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Jill Pastunink (WMU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Kelsey King (WMU) def. Jana Knoppe (UIC) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
6. Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Hailey Shanahan (WMU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Jill Pastunink/Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Haley Craig/Mariana Palacios (UIC) 8-5
2. Nini Sujashvili/Maggie Remynse (WMU) def. Kathryn Sharples/Jana Knoppe (UIC) 8-5
3. Natalia Kuvakina/Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) def. Kelsey King/Hailey Shanahan
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2), Singles (2,4,6,1,3,5)